Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Warrior Dash

Hello Everyone, I am back!  Again, I let too much time lapse between posts and I apologize.  Recently, June 10th to be exact, I participated in the Warrior Dash.  What is the Warrior Dash?  It is a 3 mile 13 obstacle race.  It is a fundraising event for St. Judes Children's Hospital.

I trained for approximately 12 weeks to be strong and aerobically ready for this "dash".  The training consisted of resistance work 3 times a week.  Squats, lunges, running up stairs, running up and down hills, upper body weight work (biceps, triceps, shoulder presses, push ups, lat pull downs etc. etc.).  I ran almost every day on my treadmill or outside on trails through the woods.  I would not consider myself a runner but having just spent the last 12 weeks running almost everyday (except when I came down with a sinus infection/bronchitis), I feel like I am possibly now in the category of being a novice runner.  Now post "dash" I continue to run every other day and thoroughly enjoy the runners "high" I get from it.  When you work out doing any type of fitness at high intensity..running, tennis, dancing, cycling or even yoga (which is not high intensity), your serotonin levels rise (these are your feel good hormones that make you feel happy and at peace).

After the "Dash" I had that runner's high for almost a week.  I will be back training again in a couple of weeks as I plan to do another "Dash" in September.


 

Anyone interested in training with me and joining us for the September Warrior Dash just give me a call at 203-984-3561.  It is great to challenge your body and/or your mind more often than you are used to.  Pick a challenge any challenge and do this for yourself you won't regret it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment